Although some companies take a one-size-fits-all approach, the chances are you’ll also need to offer a broader scope of sizes for your garments. Especially nowadays, the fashion industry is starting to realize how multiple the bodies are, and how it is important to be inclusive when making that decision. Initially, you’ll have to decide on a sizing method before production begins. As your brand develops you’ll learn more about your customers and their sizes, and can adjust production accordingly.
Different counties have different numeric ranges, meaning customers might wear different sizes in different countries. The cost of developing number sizing is very high, as a full number size range can have at least 8-10 different sizes. More resources will need to be spent on labels, hang tags. A variety of sizes means a higher fit standard.
- Fitted Garment: Numeric sizing is typically used for formal wear or fitted garments.
- Higher Cost: The cost of developing number sizing is very high, as a full number size range can have at least 8-10 different sizes. More resources will needed to spent on labels, hangtags.
- Lower Coverage For Size: Each size fits a smaller range of customers, which may increase the risk of having leftovers for each size.
- Formal Image: A variety of sizes means a higher fit standard.
It is universal and easy to understand. Customers can normalista stuck with one letter size as it tends to cover a wider range of body types. For example, both size 0 and 2 customers can wear XS size. When compared to a full-size range, this is a cheaper option as less resources will be needed for fewer sizes. Letter sizing lacks an attention to detail that numeric size offers.
- Relaxed Fit Garment: Letter sizing is typically used for relaxed fit or stretchable garments.
- Lower Costs: When compared to a full-size range, this is a cheaper option as less resources will be needed for fewer sizes.
- Higher Coverage For Each Size: One letter size can cover more body shapes as the grading difference is larger but it may not fit well compared to numeric sized garments.
- Casual Image: Letter sizing lacks an attention to detail that numeric size offers.
Remember you can be inclusive independent of your sizing method, there are numeric sizings that go from 34 - 60 and letter sizing that go from XS - 8XL. Your choice will depend only on your brand’s style and approach.
Source: The Fashion Business Manual by Fashionary
Key words: Sizing, inclusive, body positive, numeric sizing, lettering sizing, choosing sizing, textile manufacturers in portugal, producing clothing in europe.